Future Focus Week
The purpose of our Future Focus Week is to encourage Y12 students to think about the future pathways they may take once they leave Cardinal Heenan Sixth Form.
The week focuses on four broad themes, these being University, Apprenticeships, Enrichment and Personal Statements, and culminating in a formal interview at the end of the week.
Every year we work with outside providers to put on interactive workshops and talks to engage the students in thinking about their own futures. Example of providers that we have worked with are:
- University of Chester (Student finance / University life / Getting the most out of HE Conference)
- Higher Education Conference at Liverpool University
- Personal Statement workshop (Delivered by UCAS trained member of staff)
- Basic First Aid training
- Barclays Life Skills workshop (motivation speaker / personal finance / life skills)
- Formal interviews delivered by Shaping Futures
- Working options employment advice "Insights from industry"
- My BNK financial education
Future Focus Week, which last year ran from the 24th to 28th June 2019, was highly successful with all students in Y12 engaged with the activities.
Student feedback from previous years:
"I found that the summer leaders' presentation was very intriguing and I would love to take part in it next summer."
"The guest speakers did a fantastic job and the HE conference was very beneficial."
"The trip to the university was good as we were allowed to choose things to do that relate to ourselves as individuals as opposed to the whole group of pupils."
"The Barclays Life Skills were the most beneficial during the week. This session allowed me to open up more and I was also able to learn some very valuable life skills such as money management."
"I believe that the Barclays people coming in was most beneficial because it was realistic and gave us an idea of what the expense of things are."
"The mock interview was the most useful to me as it will help in my future as interviews are a key part of any application process."
"Found out that uni is not for me, reinforced my idea of career I want."