Sixth Form students participate in the Heenan charity bake-off
Become more than a set of results
At Cardinal Heenan Sixth Form, you will be encouraged to develop life skills and experiences alongside your academic studies.
Experiences gained during Enrichment can literally mean the difference between getting a university placement or job, so it really is worth making the most of what's on offer.
What is Enrichment?
Enrichment provides you with the opportunity to immerse yourself in activities that you might not have ever tried before. It is designed to promote independence and build life skills.
What Enrichment activities are on offer?
When you join the sixth form you will be given regular information on Enrichment activities that become available throughout the year, for example:
- Access and support to embark upon aspirational Higher Education programmes such as Liverpool Scholars and The Social Mobility Foundation
- Summer university residential opportunities
- Career related programmes such as Placed (an Architecture project)
- Subject specific university master classes
- Subject specific associations
Cardinal Heenan Head Boy and Sixth Form Committee 2017 - 2018
As well as these activities you will be presented with in school opportunities such as:
- Sixth Form Committee - make your views heard and influence decision making, be a role model and help to raise money for great causes by arranging fun-filled fundraising events
- Sign Language – Learn a useful life skill whilst having fun during this 10 week course
- Literacy Leaders' Course - Support students in the lower school with their reading and make a real difference
- Football - Try out for our successful football U19 team: Cardinal Heenan currently holds the Merseyside senior shield
- Gym - Access our Lifestyles Gym free of charge
- Classroom Support – Offer support in drama, art or ICT classes and develop your leadership skills
- Chef's Academy - Learn to cook healthy and nutritious meals by taking part in the six-week course
- First Aid – A basic course that gives you the practical skills and knowledge to save a life
- EPQ – Gain an extended qualification with support from experienced teachers
- Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award – Learn how to be a resourceful and independent young person
We also work closely with the National Citizenship Service who provide outstanding programmes to help you put something back into your community.
How do I sign up?
Some activities, like First Aid, will be scheduled for you. Other activities will be available for you to sign up to at the Enrichment afternoon.
Lots of opportunities will be posted on the Enrichment boards in sixth form and emailed directly to you, so keep an eye out.
What if there isn't an Enrichment activity that interests me?
If you have a passion for something, you are able to set up your own club or Enrichment activity. Staff will always support your development and help out wherever possible.
A taste of some of the Enrichment offered:
Guests: Stephen Twigg MP, Barclays Life Skills, National Citizenship Service, University Liverpool, Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service, The Youth Parliament, LIPA (performances covering Voting and Conflict), Camp Leaders, Chester University, De-Stress.
Activities: "The Great Heenan Bake-Off", Personal Finance, UCAS, University Trips, Personal Statement Workshop, CPR Training, Stress Management, Life Skills, Check-em lads Personal Health, Student Shadowing, Liverpool University Master Classes, Mock Interviews, High Education Conference and many more
"I found that the summer leaders' presentation was very intriguing and I would love to take part in it next summer"
"The trip to the university was good as we were allowed to choose things to do that relate to ourselves as individuals as opposed to the whole group of pupils"
"The Barclays Life Skills were the most beneficial. This session allowed me to open up more and I was also able to learn some very valuable life skills such as money management"
"The mock interview was the most useful to me as it will help in my future as interviews are a key part of any application process."